01-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Wow. Way fun.

neilydrum
01-03-2007, 01:13 AM
that was rad.

i miss paris.

liveintown
01-03-2007, 10:25 AM
I'm not even a huge fan and I gotta say, wow, that was understatedly fun! And live.
-live

Jessica
01-05-2007, 02:35 PM
I found that video a couple of weeks ago since I follow a French music blog a little bit, definitely pretty cool performance from Tapes 'n Tapes. The whole "concert ? emporter" (concert to go) concept is an interesting concept.

On a somewhat related tangent, but Kill the Vultures got a mention and feature on a podcast last fall for Les Inrocks (Les Inrocks being France's equivalent of Rolling Stone that is not the actual French Rolling Stone.) I don't think it's on their website, but it was called very bizarre hip-hop with comparisons to Tom Waits and Tricky. I liked Kill the Vultures a lot when I saw them at First Ave with Tapes 'n Tapes.

And I don't post much but I read the forum once in a while so hi. I should join in more.

David
01-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Hi Jessica, it actually IS on their website:

http://www.lesinrocks.com/DetailCritique.cfm?iditem=200834&idheading2=12

Loose babelfish translation for the non-French speakers:

It is what is called a thunderbolt: a first meets so intense and ignited that, during several days, one did not even cross the second piece of this album. It should be said that the first, Moonshine, have sufficient strange charms, of poisseux mysteries to bewitch: why sky be likely to confront such an insane love with realities, why further go that this phantasm diaboliquement which incarnated?

Because Moonshine, with its hip-hop bluesy, lo-fi, crasseux under the nails, is an old dream, that of a meeting, around a dirty bottle of gnôle, between Tom Waits, Beck, Sun Ra and Mos Def. In the vast one and constant company of restoration of the hip-hop, Kill The Vultures - veterans of the hip-hop underground of Minneapolis, with Oddjobs - fact thus part, like formerly Tricky, or today Clouddead or Cannibal OX, of the demolition contracters, the drillers of breaches, the painters in black, the dynamiters of combine.

Abrasive, enfiévré, déglingué and free of very forced formal, hip-hop joined to them and thus embraces other dissidences - the brutality of punk, the hébétude of the psychedelism, the hypnosis of the blues or fury of the be-bop - without transfering with the style or show of force. A palpable intoxication, even contagious, which gives desire for howling: but what do you drink, voodoo, thus say?