PDA

View Full Version : Hero Worship

Jen
03-08-2007, 07:02 AM
So people, who do you love?

I mean, like if you met them you'd get inexplicably nervous - Your musical heroes...bands, people, etc.

andrea
03-08-2007, 08:08 AM
You actually expect me to admit that in public??

Ok, fine.

I've been thinking a lot about how I tend to place certain musicians on pedestals in my mind and regard them as almost godlike, and how horribly unfair that is. I am trying to remind myself that, even if they become sort of godlike and transcendent on stage, they are still just people. They still do normal person things like brush their teeth and buy groceries and drive cars. That being said...

OMG BOB DYLAN BEN FOLDS RYAN ADAMS ANI DIFRANCO MASON JENNINGS DAN WILSON OMG

Stensby
03-08-2007, 10:39 AM
ryan adams doesn't buy groceries. his website is updated by witches.

Jen
03-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Jimmy Page
Elvis
Sam Phillips

Ha ha...

Ryan Adams. I can't help it. He makes me goo. Even if he can be the biggest primadonna out there.

solace
03-08-2007, 11:43 AM
i wanna go see him play at Stonehenge bad

Pat
03-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Chuck Klosterman I have met twice and I was slightly less ridiculous the second time.

Billy Dankert was one I was too nervous to even talk to (oh, if you guys had known me in college--the drunken, after-hours sing-alongs to "Billy's Live Bait" and "Let's Go Scare Al"), I ran out of Java Jack's that night praying nobody would stop me.

Bob Pollard
Jim Walsh
Chuck Palahniuk

I suppose most of those aren't in bands per se, but that's who I would/do get nervous around.

Jen
03-08-2007, 04:04 PM
chuck's definitely one of my rock writing heroes, along with greil marcus, jim walsh (there's probably been a reason i've not been to a hoot yet) and jim derogatis, etc.

i've had my moment(s) of awkward embarassment w/ chuck, so i have just decided to keep my distance from now on...

David
03-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Robyn Hitchcock and Lloyd Cole. I've met both twice, strangely enough. Both probably thought I was normal when they met me in person, but if either one reads what I've written about them (especially when I picked out my own funeral music from Lloyd Cole) they might think I was a bit of a nutter.

rachac
03-08-2007, 09:41 PM
(especially when I picked out my own funeral music from Lloyd Cole)
Joanna James thinks it is weird that I invited her to sing at my funeral. Maybe it is the fact that I keep checking on available dates.