PDA

View Full Version : Jeune Lune is Closing July 31

Staciaann
06-22-2008, 02:43 PM
Dammit. From the Star Trib:

http://www.startribune.com/20640899.html

After establishing itself as a beacon of originality and humor on the Twin Cities theater scene 30 years ago, Theatre de la Jeune Lune will cease operations and sell its building in the Minneapolis warehouse district.

The shutdown comes just three years after Jeune Lune won a Tony Award for best regional theater. It follows previously reported financial shortfalls for the theater, which has undergone much change in the past few years.

Facing nearly $1 million in debt, the theater's board of directors voted at a lengthy and emotional meeting on Saturday to sell the building and to shut down the group as currently organized. The changes are to take effect at the end of July 2008.

TheMadjai
06-27-2008, 02:59 PM
We've been talking at length about this on callboard, but yeah. This is not a good sign. I'm not going to delve into whether it was the lack of an audience or a mismanagement of funds, or an unreasonable sales goal that led to the demise of Jeune Lune. I will simply say that it is a tragedy and that without the work this company did, theatre in this city gets a little sadder.

David
06-27-2008, 03:51 PM
We've been talking at length about this on callboard, but yeah. This is not a good sign. I'm not going to delve into whether it was the lack of an audience or a mismanagement of funds, or an unreasonable sales goal that led to the demise of Jeune Lune. I will simply say that it is a tragedy and that without the work this company did, theatre in this city gets a little sadder.

It's so true. Sad to see a Farewell Jeune Lune group even cropping up on Facebook. Glad to see you cross-pollinating from the might Callboard though. :)

alexa
06-29-2008, 12:27 PM
without the work this company did, theatre in this city gets a little sadder.

IMHO, it gets A LOT sadder. The Jeune Lune brought stories and plays to life in a way that very few (and often any) theatre companies did here. Even if I didn't always "get it", their work was consistently so captivating and visually powerful. I was never bored or felt like what they portrayed was pretentious, weak or stagnant. Financially, behind the scenes, they obviously screwed themselves, but onstage they gave real art and power over to their audience. This is a major loss to theatre and the arts in the Twin Cities.

Bob Loblaw
06-29-2008, 09:48 PM
I wonder what will happen to that gorgeous theater-space?

Staciaann
06-30-2008, 06:12 PM

They're selling it... but the market is SO craptastic... idk. Gas station? Some ass who'll tear it all down prolly. let's all pool our cash and start a new venue! Sighs

Bob L
06-30-2008, 07:34 PM

Applebees! Yay!

Staciaann
07-01-2008, 05:46 PM
Applebees! Yay!

Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chilis, however... that's another story.

solace
07-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chilis, however... that's another story.
*barf*

to both

Bob Loblaw
07-03-2008, 09:25 AM
I may have to go "haunt" the place so that it can't be sold. Like in Scooby Doo episodes - those themes always seem to be about buying and selling property. Like "Jinkies gang! It's not a ghost, it's just old man Behm."

Actually maybe it would be more like a cross between Scooby Doo and Phantom of the Opera.

I would get away with it too, if not for you meddling kids...

Staciaann
07-03-2008, 05:42 PM
I may have to go "haunt" the place so that it can't be sold. Like in Scooby Doo episodes - those themes always seem to be about buying and selling property. Like "Jinkies gang! It's not a ghost, it's just old man Behm."

If you hide behind a grate and sing, it'd be like that episode with John Denver. It took them forever to find him...