PDA

View Full Version : the best of Tori AMos

robynbrock84
09-16-2008, 05:11 PM
:wink: I cant wait to get Tori Amos' Live at Montreux dvd once it's out sept. 30th. I swear it is some of Tori's best. her music is so inspiring http://www.imeem.com/people/rc5eEKf/video/7RvMtkWH/tori_amos_tori_amos_thank_you_live_music_video/
anyone a Tori fan?

much love for tori
robyn
fontana

Eclectone Records
09-17-2008, 11:06 AM
is this another one of those bullshit spam posts?

whiskeyfortheholyghost
09-17-2008, 01:37 PM
much love for tori

This is creppy....seems a little like a cult.

anyone a Tori fan?

NO

lesterbangs
09-17-2008, 02:28 PM
This is creppy....seems a little like a cult.

NO

I've had a couple friends attend her concerts (at Northrop) and they tell me that the shows go well until she stops them and tells the audience about her own rape.

Then the momentum of the show stops strangely enough.

Believe me, I'm sensitive to that sort of stuff....just not sure that I'd share that story with anybody besides a psychologist, let alone share it with the audience every time she plays here. They stopped going to her shows because it was uncomfortable.

David
09-17-2008, 03:23 PM
is this another one of those bullshit spam posts?

Probably. I'll delete the link eventually so it serves them no purpose (whatever the purpose was, and whoever the people behind it are) but as long as people already started talking, have at it.

whiskeyfortheholyghost
09-17-2008, 06:00 PM
I've had a couple friends attend her concerts (at Northrop) and they tell me that the shows go well until she stops them and tells the audience about her own rape.

Then the momentum of the show stops strangely enough.

Believe me, I'm sensitive to that sort of stuff....just not sure that I'd share that story with anybody besides a psychologist, let alone share it with the audience every time she plays here. They stopped going to her shows because it was unconfortable.

Back in my interning at Drive 105 days, we sponsored a Ben Folds/Tori Amos show at the Northrop so we all got in for free. We stayed for Ben Folds (not a huge fan, but really fun to see), but every one of us left during Tori Amos because it was weird/awkward (if I remember right she was humping her piano or something). That must have been before her spilling her guts about her private life. I agree it is horrible and there is no reason to suppress it, but on the flip side I do not see what is gained in that situation.

solace
09-17-2008, 10:24 PM
i used to really dig Tori and still like her first few records...

only saw her once @ Northrop (not w/ Folds, this was probably '01), and it was a great show, no akward moments/talking about her rape, etc.

her hardcore fanbase are certainly borderline insane though :lol:

dug a few tracks i heard from her album from last year

Pat
09-17-2008, 11:30 PM
I agree. I'm all for and respect you being a huge, huge fan of something, anything not just a musician, necessarily. But I have met Tori fanatics and good Lord, they are annoying, they somehow think no other music exists besides hers. Best way to get them away from you: bring up Y Kant Tori Read--I brought it up at a party once intending to have a discussion (I simply said, "What was the deal with that band?"), I was met with a raised voice and cursing (not really directed at me, mind you), apparently her fans don't like it any more than Tori does (or maybe it was just that one fan.) I was only trying to get the whole story about her suing Atlantic, etc. because I didn't know it and figured she would. It was sort of funny.

I will fully own up to liking some of her mid-90s stuff--"Crucify", "Cornflake Girl", "God"...umm, I guess everything off of Under The Pink, wait, wasn't "Crucify" off of an EP or something? Do I know too much about all of this to be cool anymore? :)

gimmesomecandy
09-18-2008, 11:08 AM
so is tori amos "indie"?

Pat
09-18-2008, 02:00 PM
I'm going to anger a few people here but I would put her in the same category with Ben Folds and maybe Bruce Hornsby as "piano rock", but maybe I'm way off. I'm open to constructive criticism/outright abuse.

David
09-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Tori Amos would be way cooler if she wore a hot pink bullet belt.

http://www.howwastheshow.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2377

lesterbangs
09-18-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm going to anger a few people here but I would put her in the same category with Ben Folds and maybe Bruce Hornsby as "piano rock", but maybe I'm way off. I'm open to constructive criticism/outright abuse.

I think she's "indie" cause I don't like her. :)

robynbrock84
09-18-2008, 06:19 PM
lol.....im so not spam at all. but ah yeah, i think Tori can pass for both indie and mainstream. her sound is very versatile which is awesome :D though yeah she can be a downer about her rape stuff

Staciaann
09-19-2008, 08:51 PM
I like "Crucify" and "Silent All These Years" ...and that's about it.

andrea
09-24-2008, 02:12 PM
But I have met Tori fanatics and good Lord, they are annoying, they somehow think no other music exists besides hers.

Similarly, I can't stand it when people assume that I must adore Tori Amos because I'm into Ani DiFranco. Which isn't to say that I think she's terrible, but it's that logic that annoys me: Oh, you like one folky/rocky female songwriter? Then you must love them all!

Sorry, that didn't really have anything to do with the conversation.

gimmesomecandy
09-24-2008, 02:19 PM
ani difranco is indie!
:D