PDA

View Full Version : Keeping up with new music

David
01-11-2006, 08:03 AM
We talked a little about local radio in another post, and I mentioned I already subscribe to emusic (http://www.emusic.com) and was thinking of subscribing to Rhapsody (http://www.rhapsody.com). But what are some of the other things people do to keep in the loop on current or new music (either local or national?) What do you read? What sites do you visit? What secret societies do you belong to?

rachac
01-11-2006, 08:25 AM
Besides national music mags (Rolling Stone, Spin, Paste, Harp -- and the periodic No Depression from the bookstore), most of the new music I get is audience recordings and soundboards from dimeadozen.org. Members post an interesting mix of new bands (I am listening to the Arctic Monkeys right now), solid mid-level bands who have been around for a while, and more. I would guess that I have 60 gig worth of shows on my computer and another 60 gig worth of CDs. It is nice to be able to read a review somewhere, download a show and get a good idea if this is a band you would be interested in.

andrea
01-11-2006, 08:56 AM
That sounds really interesting, I will have to look into that further. I had been there before but never really got into it.

I rely a lot (too much) on local media sources like City Pages, Pulse, and Homegrown for tips on new bands. I enjoy Rhapsody a lot, though it isn't the best for trying to get local stuff. Right now I am obsessed with MySpace, it is such a great place to listen to a few songs for free and get somewhat of a feel for a band immediately.

Congress
01-11-2006, 08:59 AM
On the Myspace tip, I think it's good to check out the friends of bands you like, especially if they don't have huge friends lists. More often than not, there will be bands in their friends list who they are friends with in real-life, and perhaps you will be turned on to other bands by going to their pages and listening to a song or two.

andrea
01-11-2006, 09:02 AM
True, it is a very good "networking" tool. It's like a new wave of virtual schmoozing.

Zosia Blue
01-11-2006, 09:30 AM
I definitely tend to follow the trail of friends on MySpace -- I think finding new local music is hard because, at least for me, I'll have a few favorites and then not want to go out on nights to see bands I'm not sure I'll like. But I've discovered a lot of new bands either through the band handing me a CD, or friends making mixed tapes.

andrea
01-11-2006, 09:41 AM
Sometimes it is necessary to step away from all the new music and retreat to your favorites. I know that I have been totally neglecting a lot of my favorite national bands lately in favor of hearing new local stuff, and it's amazing how energizing one spin of an old Beatles record or Radiohead CD can be for me and my motivation towards writing about music.

Zosia Blue
01-11-2006, 09:50 AM
I think that's true -- sometimes I definitely need to remember why I fell in love with music in the first place. I don't fall in love very easily with bands, so it's nice to go back to old favorites (Radiohead's a good example; Smashing Pumpkins, too, for my grunge youth), and remember that bands that make me feel that certain warm-all-over-crazy-inspired feeling do exist.

andrea
01-11-2006, 09:52 AM
It is definitely an interesting balance, I know I would totally burn out if I went to as many concerts as I would like to (since it would be at least one a day, and that's just not good for anyone's psyche. Or marriage.)

steve
01-11-2006, 10:02 AM
i would recommend becoming the music editor of an alternative weekly. it's a great way to stay up-to-date. ;)

seriously, though, this forum is a great thing and i'm psyched that dave started it. and to pimp my own shit for a second: visit the pulse music blog (http://pulsetcmusic.blogspot.com) and help us on out. i'm striving for something between a forum and a blog over there, really, where there are a bunch of thread starters (me and the writers, basically) and then anyone can join on in to the conversation.

zosia knows what i'm talking about.

David
01-11-2006, 10:10 AM
Heh. Sounds like an idea for a new forum name:

"Pimp Your Blog!"

andrea
01-11-2006, 10:11 AM
Oh, I'd totally be all over that action.

Zosia Blue
01-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Shit yeah, I do. I need to start posting in there. I felt shy about it, for some reason.

David
01-11-2006, 10:14 AM
I made a "Pimp Your Blog" forum, and changed the name of "Introduce your band" to "Pimp Your Band." It just seemed like the right thing to do.

steve
01-11-2006, 10:20 AM
well done, de young. sometimes i get the feeling that you're hardwired into the whole howwastheshow website via cybernetic implants so you can respond at a moment's notice. do you have that little HUD in your eyes like the terminator? or do you just have nothing to do at work?

David
01-11-2006, 10:20 AM
I work in the Metaverse.