PDA

View Full Version : Monday kind of question...

Jen
04-24-2006, 11:59 AM
I think I can venture to assume that most people have a band, song , etc. that can almost magically cure a crappy situation or bad day.

I was just curious what kind-of stuff everyone uses musically to cure a bad mood...

andrea
04-24-2006, 12:55 PM
Good question!

"Request + Line" by Black Eyed Peas/Macy Gray
"Love Me Do" by The Beatles
and
"Philosophy" by Ben Folds Five

All seem to help me in my cranky times.

Bob L
04-24-2006, 12:59 PM
The first thing that comes to mind is "Get Fly" by Atmosphere.

That piano riff just makes me happy.

porridge
04-24-2006, 01:50 PM
How about:
Phish ? Birds of a Feather
The Polyphonic Spree ? It?s the Sun
The Violent Femmes ? Blister in the Sun
Jimi Hendrix ? Crosstown Traffic (a personal commuting favorite)

David
04-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Krafty - New Order
Public Service Announcement - Mull Historical Society
Sex Beat - Gun Club
1969 - The Stooges
My Girlfriend Likes to Drink Too Much - Pi

Jen
04-24-2006, 09:42 PM
ziggy stardust - bowie
easy - lionel richie (commodores)
sometimes even the entire lionel richie catalog
just a friend - biz markie
or anything with a ridiculous amount of cursing. when i am pissed, the only thing that can sometimes cure it is lots and lots of swearing. preferrably straight outta compton by nwa in it's entirety.

there's a strong possibility that something is wrong with me.

i also keep a cd at my cube at work that is "for emergencies only" which is only one song. eye of the tiger by survivor. i'm not kidding, that song does wonders for productivity...

andrea
04-24-2006, 09:49 PM
Ooh, I just learned to play Ziggy Stardust on Guitar Hero, and that is F-U-N. Puts a smile on my face.

Jen
04-24-2006, 09:56 PM
guitar hero!? i'm too jealous to even use the word jealous. i have been whining about wanting to get it for too long. my boyfriend has promised that we'll get it when we move into our new place in june.

p.s. those guitar hero pics on david's flickr are totally awesome!

David
04-24-2006, 09:57 PM
Like this one?

http://static.flickr.com/50/130910720_ed789894a1.jpg

andrea
04-24-2006, 09:59 PM
God dammit! I was so drunk when that was taken! Why?!?

David
04-24-2006, 10:03 PM
$105 bar tab we split at the Dakota a couple hours before?

Criminy. That was a Monday night.

Nice Fantastic Merlins review though. :)

andrea
04-24-2006, 10:04 PM
Haha, thanks. I am surprised I remembered enough to write about it. Yeah, I take this job seriously, that's right.

David
04-24-2006, 10:07 PM
Well, to be fair, 10 percent of the tab was cheese.

But to get back on topic: Wine, cheese and jazz at the Dakota is a great way to cure the Monday blahs.

Pat
04-24-2006, 10:24 PM
I have spent three entire nights in the last few months at impromptu "Guitar Hero" extravaganzas (I say "impromptu" because we fully intended to go out and didn't make it) at my friends' place. That game goes so perfectly with booze it's scary. I rule at "Ziggy", "More Than A Feeling" and "Godzilla" after a couple of Red Stripes. That whammy bar function is awesome.

music that makes me feel better:

the entire "Slip" album from Quicksand when I'm cranky.
most anything from Pavement makes me feel better
"Mexican Standoff" from Elbow is a new addition lately
and I know this is strange but "Music Has The Right To Children" from Boards Of Canada makes me feel good too.

andrea
04-24-2006, 10:30 PM
I know exactly what you mean. We should have a Guitar Hero party. My favorites are Take Me Out and Spanish Castle Magic, and Ziggy of course.

I hear that they are coming out with expansion packs that have specific genres, which is exciting because I get sick of some of the obligatory heavy metal stuff.

Pat
04-24-2006, 10:36 PM
we should do a review of a HWTS Guitar Hero night. It would probably be akin to those pre-rehab Aerosmith shows you hear so much about on Behind The Music.

JoeLang
04-25-2006, 12:19 AM
I'm surprised you guys have set songs to put on to "cure the blues" or whatever. I've got too much music to do that. Any great blues/R&B/Rock/Soul/Gospel can do that, really.

My fav. anecdote was when I was talking to a buddy of mine quite some time ago:

Me: Yeah dude, she pretty much completely tore out my heart. I'm going through the "Time Out Of Mind" thing, you know listening to that album non stop to kind of dull the pain.

Friend: Ohhhhh yeah. I've definately been there: same scenario, same album.

I've had that conversation with diff people at least twice. God bless you Bob Dylan.

JoeLang
04-25-2006, 12:26 AM
You know, as someone who has been playing (guitar, not that game) for almost 10 years, it was kind of weird to walk into best buy one day and see kids playing this game.

I can't really compare it to anything....though I'll probably come up with something.....

It's just like...I dunno, shouldn't someone be encouraging these kids to actually PLAY guitar rather than this weird game? I'm not trying to be high and mighty or kill the fun here, I just think the whole thing is really weird....

It's like, "Sweet dude, I just learned how to play purple haze!"
"Oh yeah? I got my kit over at my house, let's jam on it!"
"Oh, no. I meant in my videogame. I didn't REALLY learn the song."

I just think it's pretty funny.

Imagine "virtuoso sculptor" where you have to hit buttons at the right time to put together pieces of michelangelo's david. hahahahaha.

[01:29] Roney: Well, playing guitar is hard. The video game is easy.
[01:29] Mojo9Lang9: lol
[01:29] Roney: It gives you the illusion of the accomplishment.
[01:29] Roney: Well, yeah.
[01:30] Mojo9Lang9: "GUITAR HERO THE GAME!!! FEEL THE ACCOMPLISHMENT OF VIRTUOSO MUSICIANSHIP WITHOUT ALL THE 'DIFFICULTY'"!
[01:30] Mojo9Lang9: *
[01:30] Mojo9Lang9: and without actually being able to play
[01:31] Roney: To be fair to the game, one of my younger cousins and his 3 brothers got it, and one of the kids now plays real guitar daily... he's 8 years old.

[01:33] Roney: In this one case it did. He realized real early that "hey wait, music's cool, and I can probably do it." Good thing to teach young. There'll have to be studies conducted to see if this encourages or discourages kids from playing guitar.

[01:31] rondpete: they should make a authorial hero...with pen and paper
[01:32] rondpete: you have to trace with fidelity kants critique of pure reason

I was literally gasping for breath at that one....

David
04-25-2006, 07:58 AM
I tried playing "I Wanna Be Sedated" on Guitar Hero and couldn't see the relationship between the game and the guitar other than that the joystick looks like a guitar and that you wiggle a knob somewhat in time to the music.

I think the fact that I knew how to play the song on a real guitar hurt. Andrea's husband said people who know how to play guitar do well at the game, but I just don't see how. Just firepots blowing up and people running around in Union Jack shirts from what I could see during the 2 minutes of my turn.

It's not like those Airliner simulators at the mall where after just a few goes you know you could fly a 747 with no problem.

Jen
04-25-2006, 08:25 AM
Maybe Taiko Drum Master is more up your alley then...

David
04-25-2006, 08:31 AM
Oh, my favorite video game will always be pinball.

I could see a Guitar Hero competition though. I wouldn't play, I'd just be interested in being on the panel of "judges." One of the key aspects of style to that game seems to be tongue usage and grimacing. I could judge that.

Dave
04-25-2006, 08:43 AM
See Guitar Face Contest (http://web.archive.org/web/20041117100954/http://www.magrack.com/guitarfacecontest/index.jsp).

(sorry for the slow and half-broken link -- the original page is gone so I had to go the archive.org route).

Zosia Blue
04-25-2006, 09:02 AM
My boyfriend's a music teacher, and he said a bunch of guitar kids have the Guitar Hero, and it seems to help them with their rhythm. So, I don't think Guitar Hero + regular guitar have to be mutually exclusive. But now I want to play a Guitar Hero, damn it. I totally vote for a HWTS GH party.

andrea
04-25-2006, 09:09 AM
I would be willing to host it at my apartment, or bring the game to somewhere else where there is more room.

Bob L
04-25-2006, 09:38 AM
On a related note: June 1 at the Triple Rock the U.S. air guitar championship. I totally think HWTS should cover it.

http://www.usairguitar.com/

Jen
04-25-2006, 09:57 AM
I second that, Bob.

I went last year. It was rock AWESOME.

Pat
04-25-2006, 09:21 PM
It depends on what level you are playing at. I used to play guitar (I'm pretty awful now) but I remember the basics and Guitar Hero was hard at first on easy level (epecially with songs I knew how to play like "I Wanna Be Sedated") because the easy level is set so 1 "note"= approx. 4 notes so I kept failing at first. People who didn't know how to play guitar excelled at it immediately, it seemed.

I rocked the house on "More Than A Feeling" right away however.

Boston kicks ass, I can't deny my unironic love of arena rock bands like Boston, ELO and BOC.... and possibly BTO, CSN&Y, ELP and some other acronyms.

Unregistered
05-05-2006, 05:45 PM
Guitar Hero comes to Memory Lanes! We were the first to put punk rockers in the middle of a bowling center and now we're extending the same opportunity to the growing Guitar Hero nation. Wednesday's at 9:30, beginning May 24th. Cash prizes, Mystery Beers and all-u-can bowl specials. Grab your friends, your leopard-print platform boots and come see us. Call for more information at 612.721.6211 or visit our website at memorylanesmpls.com.

David
05-05-2006, 06:15 PM
I hope the Guitar Hero isn't on the lanes too. Or is it?

I may have to shoot that show.

andrea
05-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Oh man, that is exciting. I wonder if you have to bring your own guitar?