PDA

View Full Version : Tapes 'n Tapes on Letterman soon

RocknRollStar
05-19-2006, 02:19 PM
As you may know, our newly signed XL (http://xlrecordings.com/tapes-n-tapes/) hometown boys are on tour in the UK at the moment. The Guardian has a nice article (http://arts.guardian.co.uk/filmandmusic/story/0,,1777568,00.html) on the Tapes 'n Tapes (http://www.tapesntapes.com/#) phenomenon and indicates they'll be on Letterman after finishing the British leg of their tour.

A couple of quotes I liked from the article:

Success? You need 3ft of snow

Get on David Letterman's show: The chat show host - not noted for his cutting-edge tastes - insisted the band's debut American TV appearance be on his show on their return from Britain. "It's so beyond anything we'd ever have imagined," says Grier.

Liz Hart, who signed them to XL records, where their label-mates include the White Stripes and Thom Yorke, predicts they will be "huge".

With these developments, I really wonder if Erik Appelwick's role in the band is temporary or permanent.

Thoughts?

- Steve

Dave
05-19-2006, 02:52 PM
I'm looking forward to Letterman. Not necessarily the actual performance, but the talking about it.

It doesn't sound like anyone has divulged a date, but they're returning from the UK around the 26th (maybe they'll stop in NYC during the layover before they start their tour in Madison), and the NYC tour dates are June 4 and 6 (a Sunday and a Tuesday). So someplace around the first week in June I would guess.

solace
05-19-2006, 03:36 PM
With these developments, I really wonder if Erik Appelwick's role in the band is temporary or permanent.

Thoughts?

- Steve
i think he'd be silly not to stick with them for the long haul (if they want him to anyway). sure i think some of his other projects/bands deserve just as much if not more attention than TnT, but if this is his ticket, more power to him!

neilydrum
05-31-2006, 09:56 PM
new article from the UK.

one small part about letterman.

"The chat show host - not noted for his cutting-edge tastes - insisted the band's debut American TV appearance be on his show on their return from Britain. "It's so beyond anything we'd ever have imagined," says Grier."

whole article here

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/filmandmusic/story/0,,1777568,00.html

Dave
06-03-2006, 11:14 PM
Next week's Letterman schedule has been released but so far no Tapes n Tapes. Musical guests already slated for just Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, so maybe that means that slots are still open.

Tuesday might have made the most sense, but that night is uh, some guy named Elvis. Hard to compete with that, I guess (and I suppose Elvis vs. Elvis might not quite be ready for prime time ...)

Nagel (who lost his ID)
06-07-2006, 01:31 AM
This is from Tuesday's NY Times art section...

Tapes 'n Tapes is indie rock's latest Internet-driven mini-success story, which is no surprise. This charmingly nerdy quartet is just the kind of band a blogger loves. It makes hazily majestic, slightly experimental indie pop that honors at least two forefathers (Pavement and the Pixies). Its members do not come from a hipster enclave. (They're from Minneapolis.) They have a babe-in-the-woods origin story (literally: they recorded their 2004 EP in a freezing cabin in a Wisconsin forest).

Most important, their work seems humble, as if they aren't quite sure they deserve to be liked. When the record labels came calling, bloggers got to feel good about themselves, as if they had saved nice guys from a sad life of dive bars and bowling alleys.

Just six months ago, Tapes 'n Tapes played a string of small, half-full clubs in New York, supporting its self-released debut, "The Loon." By April it had signed to XL Recordings, which is reissuing that album in late July. And on Sunday the group headlined the 550-capacity Bowery Ballroom.

If the band was nervous about its accelerated trajectory, it didn't show. With blank expressions the members strode onstage and quickly tore into "Just Drums," the first song on "The Loon." Despite matchstick arms, Jeremy Hanson, a bespectacled teenager, pummeled his kit as if he were knocking down drywall with a sledgehammer.

A few songs later, after a similarly ferocious interpretation of the iridescent ballad "Manitoba," the band's plan was clear. It was going to play fast and hard to fill the large room, even if that meant losing the mystical beauty of its slower songs. It often seemed as if it were channeling the goofy theatrics of Arcade Fire.

During "Icedbergs" the keyboardist, Matt Kretzmann, grabbed a tambourine and smacked the drum cymbals with it, jumping around in a fit of wild-man ecstasy. Then a gyrating Erik Appelwick almost dropped his bass guitar. "The other day, in the middle of rocking out, he broke his strap and decided to fix it with a toothpick," the vocalist Josh Grier said as Mr. Appelwick applied duct tape. "As they say in the circus, the show must go on."

It was shaggily endearing, and though Tapes 'n Tapes hasn't been together long, the members perform with an almost telepathic rapport. At one point the singer and the bassist faced each other, playing furiously with their legs spread wide, like heavy-metal droogs. What's great about the band's music is the way it crams many different moods and dynamics into a single elliptical song.

Live, Tapes 'n Tapes struck one energetic note for the entire set. The band has all the buzz it could want, but it still lacks the confidence to develop a complex live identity of its own. And that, of course, will make some bloggers like it even more.

RocknRollStar
06-20-2006, 03:13 PM
No news on the Letterman front... However, their new video for Insistor will be premiering on MTV2 this weekend. Luckily, you don't have to wait until then, as it's already on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5g2eUh7TWE).

More info on the video here (http://gorillavsbear.blogspot.com/2006/06/insistor-on-mtv.html).

- Steve

solace
06-20-2006, 03:40 PM
sweet, thanks for the YouTube link, read about that on GvB this morning
so crazy to see Erik thrown into all this hoopla so quickly!

he deserves it tho

there's a photo of the brothers Tapes throwing dice in this months Rolling Stone as well (w/ Eddie Vedder on the cover)

andrea
06-20-2006, 07:36 PM
Is that Keri in the video?

fUZZ
06-22-2006, 11:24 AM
Is that Keri in the video?

Nope, I think it's their manager or somebody from XL

That's how Appelwick actually looks in the morning, truly.

andrea
06-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Oh, is Keri not the manager anymore?

fUZZ
06-22-2006, 01:53 PM
Oh, is Keri not the manager anymore?

Her name is Liz Hart. Keri is still the manager, Liz is their agent maybe? Something like that.

Jerry Hamptone is actually a chimney sweep.

andrea
06-22-2006, 02:19 PM
Ah, I see. I can't keep all the "people" straight, and I suppose that with their huge success recently they are racking up a large posse of "people" to help them.

germ war
07-11-2006, 11:44 AM
According to this, TnT will be on Letterman on July 25th.

http://www.r5productions.com/2006/07/futureheads-show-moved-tapes-n-tapes.html

David
07-11-2006, 06:49 PM
Wow. After watching all this continue to develop over the past 2 to 3 years, "Wow" is actually what I have to say. (If you read the link Germ War posted for the Futureheads connection, then think back to when TnT opened for them at the Fine Line not so long ago.)

Wow.

fUZZ
07-13-2006, 09:57 AM
According to this, TnT will be on Letterman on July 25th.

http://www.r5productions.com/2006/07/futureheads-show-moved-tapes-n-tapes.html

Dats correct. 99% sure they are gonna play "Insistor"

I just hope I stay sober enough to remember how sexy Appelwick looks.

Ms. Mantooth
07-13-2006, 09:22 PM
That's how Appelwick actually looks in the morning, truly.

Ashy/arthritic/wearing a top hat or hot? Sorry, just curious...

Very cool news about Letterman! Yeah for them.

fUZZ
07-17-2006, 08:56 AM
I'm 99% sure they are NOT going to play "insistor"

or am i? why do i care?

erik looks creepy/ashy/top hatted right away in the morning, then one cup of coffee/bailey's he's transformed into his myspace picture. It's quite a metamorphisis really.

solace
07-17-2006, 09:26 AM
have they filmed the video for Cowbell yet does anyone know?

RocknRollStar
07-17-2006, 02:33 PM
I think they'll play "Insistor" since they just released it a proper single on 7/10/06 via XL.

Re: "Cowbell" video. Here's what they have to say on their website as of 7/11/06:

well we just shot a video for cowbell this weekend. the talented carolyn london directed us all over and through beautiful minneapolis land and cityscapes. at the end of it all tapes got his little butt singed by the flames of a burning car. that's right, we burned a car for absolutely no reason other than asthetics. i guess he deserved a little bum burn for that. more on that there video later, for now our focus is insistor, insistor, insistor.

- Steve

David
07-21-2006, 08:04 AM
Nice piece by Riemenschneider in today's Strib.

http://www.startribune.com/919/story/561956.html

David
07-21-2006, 01:31 PM
Oh, and for anyone going to tomorrow's First Ave show, I found this floating around. Subject to change, of course:

8:00pm Doors

9:00pm Stnnng

10:00pm Kill The Vultures

11:00pm Tapes 'N Tapes

12:00am The Plastic Constellations

David
07-23-2006, 02:28 PM
Good Lord, what a hot sweaty joy of a show.

http://static.flickr.com/71/196394011_6d7c6a8ab9.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/64/196396265_a151852417.jpg

My whole set of photos is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/howwastheshow/sets/72157594209088359/

solace
07-23-2006, 02:41 PM
i stopped in after the fireworks and caught the last 35-40 minutes of Tapes set, it was pretty good... i definitely miss the old bassist though, as much as i like Erik and as great of a musician as he is. he seems like he fits in well though already.

gotta say though, with all the local press they've been getting as of late, while it was great to see the place packed for them (and sadly disperse before TPC), god the crowd was an annoying bunch of tools for the most part, at least near where i was. so many people that were there just to drink and socialize... i suppose that shouldn't come as a shock really, they're "the it" band of the moment for Minneapolis, but it was still dissapointing i guess. i'm sure that last night was the first time for many people seeing the band, so hopefully they were impressed.

definitely not the best of the shows i've seen them play though, but they definitely seemed in awe of the large crowd.

David
07-23-2006, 03:06 PM
Andrea and I were both surprised by the tons and tons of young faces we had never seen before at any previous Tapes show, so Solace you are probably right that many people were seeing them for the first time. Funny though, the folks in the front rows were clearly singing along and likely are more familiar with the album even than I am, though I've listened to it 5 or 6 times. Yeah, it's hard not to miss Sean Neary. He's a great guy, and was an awsome fit musically and visually for the band. Though Appelwick as you mention is also doing a knock up job. I think it's possible to both miss Sean and still love Erik.

There were definitely some amateur show-goers at this show. I overheard at least one person say they'd never even been to First Avenue before. I knew it would clear out a bit before TPC. Too bad, as they put on at least as good a show as Tapes. STNNNG was also great (they keep growing on me.) I think this was my first time seeing Kill The Vultures, though I've heard them perform live on Radio K before. Also fun. It really was a great, well put together bill.

It was also cool to see Joe Werner of Bridge Club join the Tapes guys for the last several songs of their set. I'm hoping the success of TnT snowballs and some more bands get caught up in the MPLS frenzy. I'm hoping.

Talked to each of the Tapes guys last night. A POTW of either one of my shots or Stacy Sandstrom's if she got some good ones is in the works right now. Oh, and speaking of photos, it was so crowded it was impossible to get too close. Thankfully my photo pass allowed me to linger longer on the stairway landings without being hassled, and I got most of my shots from there with a long lens.

solace
07-23-2006, 03:20 PM
I'm hoping the success of TnT snowballs and some more bands get caught up in the MPLS frenzy. I'm hoping.

*nod*

:cool:

fUZZ
07-24-2006, 11:05 AM
i stopped in after the fireworks and caught the last 35-40 minutes of Tapes set, it was pretty good... i definitely miss the old bassist though, as much as i like Erik and as great of a musician as he is. he seems like he fits in well though already.

gotta say though, with all the local press they've been getting as of late, while it was great to see the place packed for them (and sadly disperse before TPC), god the crowd was an annoying bunch of tools for the most part, at least near where i was. so many people that were there just to drink and socialize... i suppose that shouldn't come as a shock really, they're "the it" band of the moment for Minneapolis, but it was still dissapointing i guess. i'm sure that last night was the first time for many people seeing the band, so hopefully they were impressed.

definitely not the best of the shows i've seen them play though, but they definitely seemed in awe of the large crowd.

I would say the combination of crowd, heat, sound & energy made that one of the best tapes show's i've seen. I almost passed out up front and had to bail to the side. A lot of the crowd was clueless, the girl in front of me who was standing w/her back to the band yelling at anyone who touched her was a standout. Actually, I saw quite a few people standing like that, trying to talk (i guess) w/their friends.
I haven't seen Josh that elated after a show for a while. I know they were kinda nervous about the mainroom so I'm really happy for the boys.

solace
07-24-2006, 11:10 AM
I would say the combination of crowd, heat, sound & energy made that one of the best tapes show's i've seen. I almost passed out up front and had to bail to the side. A lot of the crowd was clueless, the girl in front of me who was standing w/her back to the band yelling at anyone who touched her was a standout. Actually, I saw quite a few people standing like that, trying to talk (i guess) w/their friends.
I haven't seen Josh that elated after a show for a while. I know they were kinda nervous about the mainroom so I'm really happy for the boys.
hmm... guess we'll have to differ, because for me it was just an average show that i've seen of theirs, in terms of playing anyway. they've definitely come a LOOOOONG way in the last 2 years though... they opened for my friends band in late '04 at the Entry (along w/ Bridge Club) and i honestly thought they kinda blew then...

i agree their energy & the excitement level both of the band and a lot of the crowd was higher than normal.

germ war
07-24-2006, 12:13 PM
the girl in front of me who was standing w/her back to the band yelling at anyone who touched her was a standout.

I wonder if that was the same girl who yelled "FUCK YOU!" at me after I pushed myself past her after politely saying "excuse me" twice before she and the people next to her refused to budge. I bet she would've felt pretty awesome if I was First Avenue staff.

This show was amazing, though. That was my first time seeing Tapes ' n Tapes and I think they're definitely worthy of the attention and I hope to see them continue to do well. TPC blew my mind. They were really firing on all cylinders and have been for the last several times I've seen them. Truly amazing. Kill the Vultures were also great and I scored a copy of their CD. I think the night was a win all around, for both the bands and the people who support them.

andrea
07-24-2006, 12:13 PM
It was definitely the best Tapes show I have seen, though I haven't seen them a ton of times. The way the band and crowd seemed to feed off of each other for excitement was really fun to watch. I can't even imagine what it must be like to be a local band that just sold out their first Main Room show.

David
07-24-2006, 12:45 PM
Part of the excitement Saturday was definitely my own. I just can't help but feel happy for them.

Speaking of Kill the Vultures, they play again Saturday at the Twin Town High CD Release Party, and it will be good to see them again.

This is from an email I got a friend of mine in Canada who read my POTW about TnT. Apparently, Kill the Vultures cost him his job once! Ha.

One other thing: the openers? KILL THE VULTURES? like, the weird lo-fi hip hop band? I had no idea they were from the Twin Cities. That band is so good, I have memories of blasting that album in a big asshole chain record store I worked at and having the manager come up every once in a while to give me and this guy I worked with a blast about losing our jobs if we played it again; which we always did. Needless to say, I didn't last long, thanks to Kill the Vultures. It's just a sweet record.

andrea
07-24-2006, 12:53 PM
I also really enjoyed them, especially the way the DJ perched on top of his mixing board thingy. Does anyone know which rapper that was? I think it was Crescent Moon? There are two others that also rap in that group, all former Oddjobs guys, so I wasn't sure.

Ms. Mantooth
07-24-2006, 01:20 PM
Part of the excitement Saturday was definitely my own. I just can't help but feel happy for them.

I agree. I don't know any of the Tapes boys and, other than being a concert-going music fan, I am in no way connected to the local music scene. BUT somehow I feel like a proud mother hen. WTF? That room was buzzing with excitement before the show and they totally delivered. (Luckily, I didn't have any swearing girls/jumping boys to contend with or that may have detracted from the experience.) If the band was nervous, it didn't show and they're quickly becoming seasoned pros. Can't wait for tomorrow night. I recommend a little pre-show Immodium.

I didn't think the main room could get any hotter or more crowded until Golden Smog. I've never seen so many sweat-through t-shirts. Ewww but wow, so worth it.

fUZZ
07-24-2006, 01:58 PM
Too bad the boys didn't get scheduled for this Thurs. on Letterman, they could've met Johnny Depp. I guess they'll have to settle for... wait for it, Greg Kinnear. waa waa waaaaaa.

Gift horse. Mouth. Something like that?

neilydrum
07-25-2006, 11:07 PM
They played pretty solid. Mix was a bit off but that seems to happen with every band that plays late night talk shows. Weird to see them on letterman like that, especially applewick.

What did you guys think?

germ war
07-25-2006, 11:26 PM
I thought it was great. Mix was definitely not that good (keyboards were totally buried), but they played well. I think it's weird to see anybody you see around town on television.

WAAAY too many commercials preceeding them, though. It seriously felt like 10 minutes.

taylor
07-26-2006, 06:56 AM
GirlFriday has some coverage (http://girlfriday.typepad.com/my_weblog/2006/07/tapes_n_tapes_a.html#comments) of last nite's performance, if anyone missed it.

fUZZ
07-26-2006, 07:34 AM
I thought it was great. Mix was definitely not that good (keyboards were totally buried), but they played well. I think it's weird to see anybody you see around town on television.

WAAAY too many commercials preceeding them, though. It seriously felt like 10 minutes.

Maybe cut out one of the 50 commercials, so we get 30 seconds more of the boys, jeez.
I spoke w/them by phone yesterday afternoon and they felt it went really well. They had some post-song banter w/Dave & Paul that sounded pretty funny, too bad it didn't make the cut. Josh said Ellis Drum Shop would've gotten a huge plug.

Way to go, fellers!!!

David
07-26-2006, 07:51 AM
Locally, it was too bad WCCO popped that thunderstorm warning onto the bottom of the screen almost exactly as the piece started. They pullled it off again pretty quickly though. (They had plugged the bit on the news at 6.)

The audio sounded pretty compressed, and I thought the tambo might have been a bit too loud, but for someone hearing that for the first time I think they may have picked up a bunch of new fans. The performance was taught and induced toe-tapping. I think Josh looked great in the closeups, and Jeremy was right there when they cut around to drum shots.

It was funny at the end to see Letterman approaching Appelwick's side of the stage with his hand extended, Appelwick glancing at him as if it was normal to see David Letterman striding up with his hand extended after a song. Then cut...

From the intro to the show, and Dave's joke about going to a garage sale to buy a record player, I wonder how many people think the Loon is only available on vinyl.

andrea
07-26-2006, 08:35 AM
Did anyone else think that Josh looked a little terrified to be there? Maybe that's his game face, I'm not sure. It was really cute though.

fUZZ
07-26-2006, 08:56 AM
Did anyone else think that Josh looked a little terrified to be there? Maybe that's his game face, I'm not sure. It was really cute though.

A bunch of folks have mentioned that today. I don't know, I guess I thought he was being "intense" A couple people said they thought the lighting was way different than for most bands. It seems they went for a kinda dark vibe.

andrea
07-26-2006, 09:29 AM
Yeah, I can see that. The lighting was definitely different, and I thought that you could see their faces way clearer than normal, which was very cool. Still getting over how surreal it was to see them on TV.

David
07-26-2006, 09:56 AM
We probably should have had two threads, one for the Letterman stuff and one for Saturday's show, but alas.

Someone forwarded me a link to more photos from Saturday's show by Zach Nagle of Frozen Second Photography:

http://frozensecond.smugmug.com/gallery/1697212

Zach was right up front, in the middle, somewhere I am glad I was not, but it looks like it paid off for him. He mostly shoots sports apparently.

Staciaann
07-28-2006, 02:18 PM
A few things (sorry if this gets longer than intended) -

1 - I Tivoed TNT on Letterman and have a DVR. If anyone didn't see it and/or wants a DVD copy let me know. I'll burn you a copy & get it to you at a show or via snail mail (or I work DT Mpls/live in Mac/Grove too) - email is ssandstrom@wmitchell.edu

2 - I've been slow with getting out my TNT pics. I will get them out and get a link up. I took about 100 pics and was in the front with the wee 18 year olds so I should have a few decent shots.

3 - I left after TNT to hit another show... so hopefully others had a good reason for ditching out on TPC. I felt a little bad, but I had a Hopefuls photo commitment that night. sigh... why can't I be in two places at once??

ok - done. not too bad on length. Anyone have xtra Raconteurs tix? ha ha

David
07-31-2006, 08:49 PM
The actual Tapes 'N Tapes performance on Letterman is finally on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nexCO0N90co

liveintown
08-01-2006, 10:28 AM
The actual Tapes 'N Tapes performance on Letterman is finally on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nexCO0N90co
I had to laugh at your "finally" as it only took 5 days to get upped. YouTube still blows my mind daily, especially knowing that free bootlegged video can't last forever. Video on demand has got to be the wave of the future though. I remember having to tape Letterman when I was in high school (1980s) because it was on at 12:30am (east coast). If you missed the taping you missed it forever because guaranteed no one you knew could even set their VCR, let alone have interest in obscure musical guests. God bless the internet, again!
-live

David
08-01-2006, 12:20 PM
Well, I taped it initially myself. Then for the next three or four days various Current DJs kept referring to the fact that the only remnant of the Letterman performance to be found on YouTube was the live footage shot of the TV at the Hexagon Bar.

andrea
08-01-2006, 12:22 PM
That's funny, that was the clip taken by Alexis (http://girlfriday.typepad.com/my_weblog/2006/07/tapes_n_tapes_a.html).

solace
08-11-2006, 10:48 AM
100% pure comedy gold

Aziz rules

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vD6bI7ziGPk

Dave
08-11-2006, 11:10 AM
Ha, you must have been the one to show it to Patrick. You beat me to it...

RocknRollStar
08-14-2006, 03:34 PM
Love that video. Definitely has been all over the internet the past few days...

FYI - TnTs blogged about their whole Letterman experience on their MySpace (http://www.myspace.com/tapesntapes) page today:

tnt on letterman (play by play)

here goes...we loaded in around 9am. it was about 90 degrees outside the studio and 51 inside the studio. in case you haven't experienced a 40 degree drop in temperature lately, it's quite shocking. while we were loading in we got to meet biff, and check out paul shaffer's ridiculous keyboard set-up. the most surprising aspect of the whole day (and something none of us can still really get over) is how tiny the stage is. it's really small....like gulliver's travels small. they do some crazy things with lenses and lighting. after the load-in we had a break for a few hours. when we can back, paul shaffer and the CBS orchestra were rehearsing. this was a high point for the day, as paul was singing piccolo parts...we're hoping to put some footage of this up at some point in the future. once mr. shaffer finished with his piccolo business, we got to run through the shortened version of "insistor" a few times. biff thought our band name should be 8-track's 'n 45's...we decided to stick with tapes 'n tapes, with all due respect to biff. then it was back to the green room to hang out and hit up hair and make-up. that's right, hair and make-up. c'mon now, you know we got's to look good on the national tv. damn. once we got lookin all pretty then we watched mr. letterman grill greg kinear and the reptile man. they tape letterman in real time, so during the commercial breaks we were treated to mr. shaffer and the CBS orchestra covering current top 40 hits (velvet revolver, black eyed peas, red hot chili peppers...good times). after all of that it was time for us take the stage of the old ed sullivan theater. dave introduced us, cameras swooped all over the place, and before we knew it, it was all over. dave did shake our hands (even though it got cut from final recording). he has big hands. then he talked a bit about jeremy's drum kit (which also got cut)...he and paul thought it was vintage...it isn't. all in all , it was a good time. very strange to be playing on a tv show that we'd watched a bunch growing up. it still doesn't really seem real...kind of like the footage of neil armstrong jumping around on the moon.