PDA

View Full Version : First Avenue Hay Day

Staciaann
08-17-2006, 07:59 AM
Did anyone else go see this last night? It was sold out and pretty cool to see some of my old fav local bands on screen. Trip Shakespeare was a highlight for me only because they were broken up by the time I got my first copy of Lulu. They are SO young in the film. Also liked all the quips and quick cuts to Steve McClellan and silly clips of musicians hanging around at 1st Ave. Kevin Cole was also on there - used to listen to him on KJ 104 (sniffle). The audience hissed whenever Fingerhut came on screen. That was great. Also liked seeing Bob Mould, Babes in Toyland, a young Soul Asylum (with Karl, of course), Gear Daddies, etc. etc. I thought it was a pretty cool retrospective. Some parts got long and some songs could've been cut off like 1/3 way thru, but overall I really enjoyed it.

Anyone else? Also anyone going to/already attended the Pixies documentary? Wondering how that is...

Dave
08-17-2006, 09:50 AM
Hey great, I just posted about both of those movies in that other thread. I want to see them both. I'm pretty sure they're both playing multiple times, right ...

gimmesomecandy
08-17-2006, 09:51 AM
Hay Day was totally freaking awesome

Dave
08-17-2006, 09:52 AM
Eh, I was sure Hay Day was scheduled for multiple dates (why wasn't it?), but no. Oh well. I also might want to see the Trachtenburg and Danielson ones.

Sound Unseen has really crept up on me this year. Didn't it used to be in October or something?

solace
08-17-2006, 09:54 AM
Hay Day was totally freaking awesome
it was a blast, but i coulda done without them showing the full songs for a few of those bands/artists...

Grant Hart was sitting directly in front of me for half of the movie, i think he just wanted to hear himself deliver the line about how Husker Du were indeed going to reunite.... In Federal Court ;), he totally missed the Nova Mob (or maybe that was his intention) performance and his line about how he's been all over the world but never found a club as great as First Ave.

was quite a "who's who" in the crowd for sure.

and Dave, you are right, it did used to be in Oct, not sure why they moved it up this year. as for why they're not playing the Hay Day one more than once... not really sure at all, cuz they could sell it out numerous showings...

my thought was maybe they wanted a big buzz and the first one (opening film of the '06 festival) to sell out super fast, then they'd add a few over the next week? but not sure.

Dave
08-17-2006, 09:59 AM
This from Gretchen on the Sound Unseen blog, this is probably as good an answer as we'll get:

For those of you who are wondering: I am not sure what the plans are for HayDay and it’s future, the fest was lucky enough to be offered one screening and we don’t know anything else unfortunately. DEMO - the non prof org - will have more answers for you so search them out please.

David
08-17-2006, 07:17 PM
Fingers crossed it will be out on DVD someday for those of us who were only fortunate enough to attend the star-studded afterparty.

solace
08-17-2006, 07:23 PM
i would be somewhat surprised if it ever comes out on DVD, namely for all the rights...

but who knows

Dave
08-17-2006, 10:19 PM
I didn't even get the afterparty. Maybe a DVD of that then?

Staciaann
08-17-2006, 10:23 PM
DVD you say? Wouldn't that be nice? I could then fast fwrd thru the stuff I was ready to have be over earlier and rewatch all the funny moments and kick ass performances... Hopefully they'll reshow it somewhere for those that didn't get to it last night. I wouldn't think they'd put in all the time/effort for something to show once.

Pixies replay is 11 freakin' 30 on Friday night - oy. Dark theatre... stomach full o' popcorn... zzzzzzzzz...... Otherwise Saturday at 7:45pm... anyone interested in going to that showing? I may be able to stay awake... hee...

liveintown
08-18-2006, 12:20 PM
I went to both Hay Day and the Pixies doc and it was a blast. Being surrounded in the theater by old bands, old faces, old friends, just added to the madness. It was the 'premiere' of Hay Day and it had that vibe, complete with applause for onscreen appearances. Sure, all the big Mpls groups were represented and even surprised me in some places. The Mats and Husker Du were major highlights, especially seeing Bob and Greg flailing about and then a shot of the crowd in one hell of a mosh pit. The crowd audibly gasped! Apparently you just don't see most pits like that at the Ave anymore. Special moments for me were Bill Sullivan's band interviews/Soul Asylum Tour van tour/others, the Mighty Mofos (and watching their reactions as they sat 2 rows ahead of me), Cows (Shannon with not just 1, but 2 arm slings), Run Westy Run (nice performance, but ridiculously dark. I have pro-shot footage of them from mid-80s at First Ave that I'll have to contact the producer about.), anything coming out of Steve McClellan's mouth, the Contras (geeks turned cool! Never seen 'em, but everyone around me had the giggles. Bring 'em back!), Tetes Noires (looking out of place in this film, but perfect in every other way), and much much more. I'd say about 75% of the video was poor to good quality and it the clips really were not arranged very well as a complete "film". Really something just for the hardcore fans and locals, to me anyway. Some nice shots of the local celebs in attendance, courtesy of Jim Walsh: http://blogs.citypages.com/jwalsh/

edit: Forgot to mention that it was interesting to hear which bands got absolutely ZERO applause, such as the Gear Daddies. Sorry, boys.

I enjoyed the Pixies film as well. Kinda reminded me of the not-so-underlying sadness of the Luna doc. I think I saw my head bouncing up and down at the Fine Line show. Kim's reactions post performance were breathtaking. I'll never forget that night. I don't want to spoil the film, but it's educational for fans of the Pixies and Deal sisters. Good live performances too.
-live