PDA

View Full Version : Weekend of Aug. 18 - 20

Zosia Blue
08-17-2006, 07:03 PM
I haven't been to a show in ages, so I thought I'd start a thread.

My prospects for this weekend are Free Grandma (math-jazz trio) at the French Press Jazz Cafe in St. Paul tomorrow around 6, These Modern Socks at the Uptown later in the night and then Seymore Saves the World on Saturday, also at the Uptown. What's everyone else up to?

Dave
08-17-2006, 10:33 PM
Hey there stranger -- my weekend looks slim, personally. One of the Pixies movie showings if I can round up someone to occupy a seat next to me. Maybe High on Stress at the Hex, mostly just because it's the Hex (I know nothing about HOS besides that they like to promote themselves around here, and maybe for that reason also I should check them out).

The two Turf shows look decent too, but I'll probably skip unless someone else is going.

Oh and Talladega Nights tomorrow night ... and there's something about snakes being somehow on planes ...

rachac
08-18-2006, 12:45 PM
I will be buzzing by the Hex late to catch HoS, so I will look for you, Dave. Taking it easy otherwise -- looking ahead to the last couple weeks in August, I could make a case for going out nearly every night.

solace
08-18-2006, 01:02 PM
might go see The Advantage tonight, as i missed them 2 years ago
they play old school 8-bit Nintendo songs and rule.

pretty sweet bill at the Turf on Sat too:

Saturday, August 19 , 2006

Valet
Romantica
Tin Star Sisters
Mike Gunther
Crush Collision
9:00 | $5

but i'll prolly bow out, i need to finish up some projects

Dave
08-18-2006, 01:08 PM
Hmmm ... I consider the Advantage an option now.

rachac
08-18-2006, 01:18 PM
If I wasn't going to be at a bachelor party, the Turf would have been at the top of my list too.

germ war
08-18-2006, 04:14 PM
I have to get up at 6:30 tomorrow to get to Madison early enough for a noontime soundcheck, so most of my weekend is gonna be banked at the bowling tournament on Sunday @ Bryant Lake Bowl.

Jen
08-20-2006, 12:52 PM
hi everyone!

what were the musical highlights of this weekend? i kinda laid low, so i need details :)

Dave
08-20-2006, 04:34 PM
Lowlight was being shut out of the final screening of the Pixies movie in spite of showing up half an hour early, although I should have known better (it was in the spacious 50-seat BLB theater -- doy). On the bright side, the movie comes out on DVD in November and it's already in the Netflix database. Stook, we can watch it together.

Who was at the Sound Unseen party? I heard it was so-so from a couple different people, although I still kind of wish I had gone.

P.S. Talladega Nights was awesome -- as was the Borat Movie trailer they showed before it.

benton
08-20-2006, 08:24 PM
I had a great time at sound unseen party
I thought ghostland put on a great show WOW! the energy from Aaron was contagious....hope they come back in the fall
sound was not as good as the night before at the varstiy, but then again it is a warehouse

gimmesomecandy
08-21-2006, 07:38 AM
Lowlight was having to tell Dave on the sidewalk in front of the BLB that the Pixies screening was sold out.