PDA

View Full Version : Cursive-Happy Hollow

Pat
08-27-2006, 09:55 AM
anyone picked this up yet? I got it last night, only listened to a couple of songs, I like it so far... anyone else?

solace
08-27-2006, 10:44 AM
can't say i'm too into it myself...
i actually thought i'd enjoy an album w/o Gretta on Cello, but i'm fairly indifferent about it...

sounds more like The Good Life almost

germ war
08-27-2006, 11:45 AM
They're coming to First Avenue on September 23rd, too, if nobody's noticed. My friends (and their labelmates), Ladyfinger (ne), are opening the bill.

Pat
08-27-2006, 11:52 AM
I did notice and am covering it for this site.

solace
08-27-2006, 01:52 PM
yeah i'm almost a bit more excited for The Thermals i think

porridge
08-28-2006, 08:14 AM
I feel it's a cross between Domestica and TGL's Album of the Year. Personally, I was looking for a touch more Ugly Organ -- for which I know I'm in the minority. Tim Kasher is awesome though, and it's a great album overall.

Saddle Creek sent me this sweet little bicycle license plate with a Hollow water tower to promote the album. It's sitting on my desk right now next to a rubber ducky sent from some punk band. Just thought I'd share. :)

Pat
08-29-2006, 09:29 PM
I saw the license plate on their website, that thing did look cool.

I have listened to this album about seven times all the way through and it has hit something deep inside me, which doesn't happen to me very often anymore. I think a lot of it has to do with me being rasied Catholic in the Midwest and later feeling scammed by the church a little bit, I'm assuming Tim Kasher feels the same way. The lyrics are diamond-sharp and fairly haunting ("Bad Sects" in particular), and while I was looking for a step in a new direction musically at first, I am totally comfortable with where this one sits. I'll get back to this when I can speak a little more intelligently (or at least more clearly) about it.

Bob L
09-19-2006, 08:25 AM
I finally did pick this up. I have listened to it only a couple times, but I have not been impressed so far.

I liked Domestica alot, I like Ugly Organ a little less, but I still liked it.

This one just isn't resonating with me. I think some of Kasher's lyrics are kind of weak. He sometimes tries to fit so many words in that it sounds awkward. This is something I noticed on the last Good Life album, but it seems to bother me much more on this album.

Maybe it will grow on me.