PDA

View Full Version : Who is your least favorite band?

germ war
08-29-2006, 04:25 PM
I think it's easier to pick a favorite than one you'd rather not hear than all the others.

So...who is it? I really gotta ponder. I'm thinking maybe Eric Clapton (if he's considered a band), or the Eagles, but I have no final decision on it yet.

Though, hmm...Limp Bizkit.

steve
08-29-2006, 06:51 PM
is it even a contest?

jimmy buffett.

andrea
08-29-2006, 10:37 PM
James Blunt.

JoeLang
08-30-2006, 03:49 AM
Dexie's Midnight Runners.

CLAPTON?!?!? ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?! I know he's done some lame shit, but his sixties stuff can't be denied. It revolutionized rock. How can he be your LEAST FAV? You mean most, if not all of his stuff literally makes you ill (I know my least fav does).

Jen
08-30-2006, 06:06 AM
is it even a contest?

jimmy buffett.

steve - i am soooo with you on this one.

Bob L
08-30-2006, 07:16 AM
Somebody is going to hate me for this...

I just can't stand Peter Gabriel.

gimmesomecandy
08-30-2006, 08:31 AM
Shania Twain

Staciaann
08-30-2006, 08:51 AM
Sheryl Crow. ACK!

solace
08-30-2006, 09:09 AM
Sheryl Crow. ACK!
good one

Lenny Kravitz post 1994 or so

gimmesomecandy
08-30-2006, 09:22 AM
What's the matter with Sheryl Crow?
Since when is she not cool?

solace
08-30-2006, 09:28 AM
she's always been pretty awful IMO, sorry Stook ;)

gimmesomecandy
08-30-2006, 09:37 AM
well then... i'll just go soak up the sun all by my damn self

Jen
08-30-2006, 09:57 AM
I'm not a big Sheryl Crow fan, per se. And lately her stuff kinda grates on me and is generally over-exposed. But I will come to her defense and say that her self-titled second album was really fantastic. Just a good listen all the way through.

liveintown
08-30-2006, 10:08 AM
Lenny Kravitz? Sheryl Crow? Peter Gabriel?? Some of you are just not digging deep enough. They've all made like 10+ albums and dabbled in different musics, so there's probably at least one song you could admit to liking, even just for the songwriting. We're talking about your least favorite band, one that you have never liked and will never like. I guess selecting Mariah Carey or NSYNC would mean admitting that you've actually listened to their "work"!

I'm sure I have a least favorite from every decade, but this one will do:
Kenny G

solace
08-30-2006, 10:14 AM
Peter Gabriel rules, can't see how someone would despise him myself

can see him not being your cat's meow, but least favorite ever?

i'd have to go w/ Creed & Nickelback being up there

Bob L
08-30-2006, 10:18 AM
There is no Peter Gabriel song I have heard that I like. I know many people like him, but he makes my stomach queasy.

KristineL
08-30-2006, 10:19 AM
Didn't Creed even get sued by their own fans? Thought I read that in Spin a while back.

solace
08-30-2006, 10:26 AM
There is no Peter Gabriel song I have heard that I like. I know many people like him, but he makes my stomach queasy.
not even In Your Eyes?

Solsbury Hill?

Biko?

Games Without Frontiers???

*sigh* :(

i think Peter gets unfairly tagged and compared to his Sledgehammer, Diggin' In The Dirt, Big Time, etc. MTV stuff

what about the early Genesis records??
hated that too?

Selling England by the Pound and The Lamb Lies down on Broadway were pretty great

Bob L
08-30-2006, 10:59 AM
I don't think I've listened to those Gabriel-era Genesis albums. As for all the other songs you mentioned... No. Sorry, I just don't think my mind can be changed on this one.

andrea
08-30-2006, 11:19 AM
well then... i'll just go soak up the sun all by my damn self

LOL. I kinda like Sheryl Crow too. Especially Tuesday Night Music Club.

solace
08-30-2006, 11:28 AM
my biggest annoyance w/ Sheryl Crow is that she's a total media whore

if there's a benefit, some sort of tribute, or any opportunity whatsoever for hear to appear on TV, she begs her way onto it

http://www.webflyer.com/liveflyer/

just one example

wendyandlisa
08-30-2006, 11:33 AM
oh so many

limp bizkit
creed
(boy bands..i won't count cuz they're not bands)
the locust
melt banana
dire straits

Billy
08-30-2006, 12:26 PM
a lot of the bands listed in this thread are ok if you don't take them seriously at all - however, when a single artist ruins an entire genre for listeners, then I think it qualifies as the worst ever.

therefore, the winner in my eyes is:

Clear Channel

without marketing whores like clear channel, hack musicians like Kenny G, nu-rockers, christian rockers, new country artists, etc would be nothing.

but if you want a specific person, I side with liveintown - Kenny G fucked jazz over.

gimmesomecandy
08-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Yeah!

Jazz records were jumping off the shelves until Kenny G
came along!

ScottW.
08-30-2006, 12:58 PM
Great snarky thread.

Tapes N' Tapes

Just Kidding!!!!

I have to go way back and say there has never been a band with more ego and less talent than REO Speedwagon.

I mean, that decade gave us some real winners like Styx, and Journey and Head East, but bray for bray, guitar cliche for guitar cliche, no band could kill your soul like REO.

I also think the Red Hot Chili Peppers should get an honorable mention, if only for their "ballads."

I'm not the biggest fan of Peter Gabriel but I do like that "Shock the Monkey" tune, which is a great song about, uh, ...

liveintown
08-30-2006, 01:10 PM
Yeah!

Jazz records were jumping off the shelves until Kenny G
came along!
Maybe not straight ahead jazz albums, but certainly more interesting cross-genre albums were getting notice. Digible Planets (backed live by a jazz group), US3 (samples and live jazz), Miles Davis' final album (with samples and rappers), Branford Marsalis (and his hip-hop offshoot, Buckshot LeFonque), Maceo Parker (played on hits from a variety of jazz, R&B and pop artists of the last 4 decades). All from the Kenny G-era. Heard any inkling of real jazz or it's influence in the top 50 in the last decade? How about an instrumental album or song in the top 20? People used to buy that sort of stuff, before the G-man destroyed the very idea of it.
-live

rachac
08-30-2006, 01:11 PM
Mallma........oh, wait, I got in a lot of trouble last time.

Although I would be loathe to pick a specific band for "worst" ever, I would reserve a special place in hell for all bands where "image" trumps all semblance of writing quality and musical ability.

gimmesomecandy
08-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Because people were so busy buying kenny g records that they couldnt be bothered with others?

Love him or hate him.....
Kenny G never did anything to anybody!
and he certainly didnt have anything to do with the demise of digable planets!

JoeLang
08-30-2006, 02:10 PM
BS. Kenny G musically took Louis Armstrong out of the ground, dropped his pants and well....I'll stop there.

I actually had a thread on it a little while ago. Find it and see for yourself.

gimmesomecandy
08-30-2006, 02:27 PM
As untasteful as that is

I dont think it affected peoples willingness or lack of willingness to buy and or listen to jazz

wendyandlisa
08-30-2006, 02:29 PM
much how people will still buy rock records after creed polluted the well

liveintown
08-30-2006, 03:29 PM
I don't think we're talking about people who read this board, but only those folks who believe everything they read. When record labels shoved Kenny G, people bought it. Once that happens, doors get closed to artists that don't sound, look or smell like Kenny G. This occurs in all genres of music, doncha know? While this is not Kenny's fault, he hasn't done anything to improve the situation. It's not like he's promoting indie artists or now unknown older musicians. Just Kenny G. Oh yeah, and his music really really sucks. I blame the messenger.
-live

Staciaann
08-30-2006, 03:43 PM
much how people will still buy rock records after creed polluted the well

Dude... if anyone polluted the well it's American Idol. Bad rip offs of mostly bad songs. OY. ...although with my arms wide open I'll agree that Creed blows too. ;)

porridge
08-30-2006, 05:37 PM
Is it sad the biggest thing that bugs me about Kenny G is his ombiture (sp?), playing out of the side of his face? Maybe that's the former sax player in me.

As for least favorite artist, I vote for Ricky Martin's entire career -- from Menudo in the late 70s, through "Livin la Vida Loca" in 1999, up to his "Ricky Martin MTV Unplugged" earlier this month. Geez. I mean c'mon people.

mplskate
08-30-2006, 05:47 PM
Rush.

solace
08-30-2006, 05:55 PM
Rush.
bahahahaha

i love it...

i've come around to tolerating Rush to certain extents over the years, but yeah... :D

rachac
08-30-2006, 06:09 PM
I do remember being 14 years old and thinking how cool Rush's lyrics were.

Sad that we all have to grow up sometimes.

Ms. Mantooth
08-30-2006, 06:30 PM
It's a three-way tie of people I never ever need to hear again:
Gloria Estefan
John (Cougar) Mellencamp
Tracy Chapman

Staciaann
08-30-2006, 06:57 PM
AMEN to JC Mellencamp. If I have to hear that "come on baby take a ride with me" song one more time my eardrums with burst with protest.

solace
08-30-2006, 10:13 PM
oh man i love pre-1994 John Mellencamp so much :mad:

and Tracy Chapman???? :confused:

Billy
08-31-2006, 11:30 AM
sticking with the kenny g theme...

How many times have you guys had to explain to someone with limited exposure to the concept of "jazz" that Kenny G does not equal jazz? Back when all I listened to was predominantly straight ahead jazz, I had to do this all of the time. Phoney music stops a persons's taste development in their tracks - and when people associate jazz with Kenny G, they associate jazz with phoney music and they stop trying to appreciate it. For a musical genre with as high a learning curve as jazz, this is a death knell.

I would have no problem with Kenny G if he called the music he played "light instramental". But those marketing fucks called it "smooth JAZZ" instead.

porridge
08-31-2006, 11:32 AM
4 = number of weddings I attended in the 90s that used a Kenny G song either during the ceremony or as one of the first dances.

Ms. Mantooth
08-31-2006, 07:22 PM
oh man i love pre-1994 John Mellencamp so much :mad:

and Tracy Chapman???? :confused:

Sorry Solace... I blame radio for ruining Mellencamp. Why is "Little Pink Houses" ALWAYS on Cities 97? Isn't that song like 20 years old? And not to say 20 year old songs aren't radio-worthy but come on. Please don't madface me?!

Re: Tracy - it's the voice. I. Can't. Stand. It. Different strokes, man.

JoeLang
09-01-2006, 01:09 AM
4=the number of couples no longer together you saw because the course of their relationship was unknowingly dashed by the smooth jazz vibrations of kenny g's ejaxophone.

Shannon
09-01-2006, 12:27 PM
Creed has always been my favorite band to hate, but since they've broken up I've focused my scorn on the more active threat that is Nickleback.

And Toby Keith, even though I've never actually heard one of his songs. He frightens me.

I also really dislike Teagan and Sarah.

JoeLang
09-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Oh man. I didn't even think of Toby Kieth.

We have a winner.

germ war
09-01-2006, 05:54 PM
Dexie's Midnight Runners.

CLAPTON?!?!? ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?! I know he's done some lame shit, but his sixties stuff can't be denied. It revolutionized rock. How can he be your LEAST FAV? You mean most, if not all of his stuff literally makes you ill (I know my least fav does).

Boy, I didn't know that would get anyone so worked up. Clapton might be one of the biggest hack guitarists yet-somehow-reknowned that this world has ever know.

But you're right, he's probably not my least favorite, which is exactly why I said I had to ponder it.

I might have to say UB40 if only for that horrible cover of "Red Red Wine", but I'm sure there's gotta be worse.

germ war
09-01-2006, 05:55 PM
Oh, and guys, Kenny G just seems so totally obvious.

Pat
09-01-2006, 09:36 PM
Insane Clown Posse.

Is there a more ridiculous idea for a band or more irresponsible lyrics? And their fans really annoy me, too and I hate to say it but it fuels my hatred for them. A few years ago I was at a strange house party in a very mixed crowd and somehow it came to pass that I belittled (loudly) ICP, then had to spend the next fifteen minutes listening to this drunken douchebag go on and on (and on and on) about the virtues of this band. I finally said something like "Look, Shaggy 2 Dope could cure cancer and I'd still spit in his face" (I used to get much more into actively hating bands than I do now, and I will also admit that this comment was wildly inappropriate, though it did cause people to laugh) which caused this guy to actually throw a punch at me, he missed and was removed from the premises.

germ war
09-01-2006, 09:48 PM
Pat, that is an AMAZING story and ICP never even registers on my radar to hate them, but they are most definitely an excellent choice. Like the Jeff Foxworthy of comedy.

JoeLang
09-01-2006, 11:43 PM
Boy, I didn't know that would get anyone so worked up. Clapton might be one of the biggest hack guitarists yet-somehow-reknowned that this world has ever know.

Either you haven't listened to his 1965-1969 output, or you ate one too many paintchips as a child.

His tone and phrasing alone from that period is pretty much universally respected among blues guitarists.

Despite that, one could make the argument that he almost single handedly invented blues rock as we know it. No Cream, no Zeppelin, etc.

When Hendrix got picked up by Chas Chandler in '66 he wanted to meet 2 people in Britain: Clapton and Jeff Beck.

Hate away on him now. If you ask me, he kind of sold out. But to say he is your least favorite ever would be disturbing.

solace
09-02-2006, 07:21 AM
Clapton, while i won't dispute his greatness or the impact of Cream, The Yardbirds, and Derek & The Dominoes even to some extent, is often one of the more overrated guitarists of his era...

when i was first starting to play guitar in the late 80's (i'm not that old, 28), i probably would have gotten angry at someone for saying that, but i feel pretty strongly about it now, although not as strongly as say my feelings about how overrated The Doors were/are.

but yeah, most everything he's done post 1980 has sucked for the most part

but it's kinda like Sting, as bad as he is now, i'm not going to deny the greatness of those first 3 Police albums just because of his work the last 15-20 years

KristineL
09-02-2006, 03:07 PM
Ummm...hello...Air Supply. They make me want to set my hair on fire.

Pat
09-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Here's the thing about Air Supply--and don't take this as an endorsement of them, they do suck--they have an undeniable kitsch value that brings them up a notch from Kenny G or Toby Keith or most of the other bands mentioned here.

Consider this (and do not think I have done this, I definitely have not): If you ended up bringing a girl (or guy) home or going to their place and the conversation ended up getting strained or it was time to make out or whatever and s/he said "Let me put some music on" and then played "The One That You Love" and s/he was very obviously joking about it just to see what you would do (let's say, for the sake of argument, you had already discussed musical tastes earlier in the night, which probably isn't a stretch with this crowd) wouldn't that endear you to that person a little bit? The same can't be said for Insane Clown Posse or recent Sting, I don't think.

So that is why Air Supply cannot be the worst band ever, sorry Kristine.

Shannon
09-02-2006, 07:29 PM
Yeah, Air Supply is bad, but they're fun to hate. My friend and I had a good laugh emailing each other lines from "All Out of Love" one day. I don't remember how it started, but it was very entertaining.

KristineL
09-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Pat, you're killing me. When I hear Air Supply I seriously feel anxious. As far as your scenario, if some guy played Air Supply for me, I would veto the musical selection and request, I don't know, The Carpenters? Now that would endear me to him a little bit. Pat, get ahold of yourself. Pull it together, man!

JoeLang
09-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Clapton, while i won't dispute his greatness or the impact of Cream, The Yardbirds, and Derek & The Dominoes even to some extent, is often one of the more overrated guitarists of his era...

so from that period, in the rock/blues genre we have peter green, jeff beck, johnny winter, alvin lee, pete townshend, Jimmy page, santana, and clapton certainly holds his own in that crowd, even if you throw in buddy guy, albert king, freddy king and a whole slew of others.

Clapton with John Mayall and Cream is some of the finest rock and blues guitar playing ever put down, bar none.

solace
09-03-2006, 04:02 PM
yes he does "hold his own" among that crowd, but would i put him above (the ones you named) jeff beck, alvin lee, pete townshend, Jimmy page, santana?

nope, probably not

his playing, while good, just is not very interesting/inspiring to me when you really get into it. no doubt he wrote some amazing riffs (Cream especially), but his soloing (other than a few occasions, While My Guitar for one) i usually don't find that great honestly.

and i'm talking about overrated in the sense of the whole "ERIC IS GOD" type shit that went on :roll:, not overrated in that he's a bad player or anything like that.

just like Radiohead are one if, if not THE most overrated band of the last 15 years by many, but they're still one of my favorite bands of the last 15 too...

JoeLang
09-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Radiohead agreed. But his soloing during mayall through blind faith is pretty extrordinary for blues and rock and roll.

Jimmy Page on the other hand. Now THERE is some hackery. That's not even a contest. I remember watching the song remains the same as a freshman in a dorm and cringing at how bad it was. Not to say that zeppelin wasn't a great band, but page is def the most overrated guitarist in rock.

Example: http://youtube.com/watch?v=WjuXmgFhdLo

Wow that solo is awful.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D-wCBdQlXdc&mode=related&search=

also quite bad.

Had it not been for John Paul Jones, I don't think that band makes it very far after led zeppelin IV.

alvin lee's tone is terrible and ten years after didn't really do a whole lot.

Tonwshend's solos are a joke.

Honestly if you haven't heard "John Mayall's Bluesbreaker's with Eric Clapton" you are seriously missing out on some of the baddest tone and playing ever laid down.

Check it out.

BTW: The Rolling Stones, while great are the most overrated band of all time!

:)

Peace,

Joe

solace
09-05-2006, 03:49 PM
it depends if you're talking about guitar playing in general, or their "soloing"

when i first started playing guitar in the late 80's i was all about solos and stupid penatonic scales, etc., and worshipped Satch, Vai, Malmsteen, Eric Johnson, etc. i finally realized how boring that all was for the most part, and have since realized that often the best guitar players aren't really even that good of soloists.

Townshend wasn't a lead guitarist back in the day, he was an amazing rhythm guitarist who wrote some of the best riffs of all time. His lead skills didn't develop until the late 70's and even moreso through the 80's & 90's. if you haven't seen him play live the last 10-15 years, i suggest you check him out, because he's a lot better guitar player than he ever was in the 60's.

Page i'll give you is overrated some too, but i'd take his riffs & solos over Claptons most any day, no matter how much he borrowed as well. I also prefer his tone too.

wha?? Alvin Lee's tone was GODLY imo...

the first time i heard Ten Years After, was their Woodstock set when i was about 12 or 13, and i was absolutely BLOWN away... i couldn't believe i hadn't heard of Alvin or TYA before... their set at Woodstock impressed me almost as much as Hendrix's set honestly. VERY underrated band and guitar player. their recent live at the Fillmore double disc release is mindblowing. i still remember the first time i heard "Goin' Home" and had my mind opened to his genius...

as for the Stones... amazing band, would never deny them that, but yeah, of all the 60's bands, they're one of the ones i listen to the least of all the biggest ones.

solace
09-05-2006, 04:39 PM
while we're on the subject...
where does Hendrix stand in terms of guitar players with you?

certainly he totally re-defined the sound, tones, and way an electric guitar could be played... and for that alone he deserves any and all of the praise he gets (and then some), but as an overall guitarist i'm curious what people think...

i think his playing was so innovative at the time that it's really hard to gauge the full extent of his guitar talent without just focusing on the obvious...

JoeLang
09-05-2006, 04:43 PM
and worshipped Satch, Vai, Malmsteen, Eric Johnson, etc.

I hate those guys. Satriani can be good, Eric Johnson could be if he didn't confine himself so much.

best guitar players aren't really even that good of solois

One could mount a SERIOUS argument against this, but I think I can understand where you are coming from, at least somewhat. George Harrison would be a good example, curtis mayfield, etc.

Townshend wasn't a lead guitarist back in the day, he was an amazing rhythm guitarist who wrote some of the best riffs of all time.

I can buy that.

if you haven't seen him play live the last 10-15 years, i suggest you check him out, because he's a lot better guitar player than he ever was in the 60's.

heard it. Better, but not mindblowing.

Page i'll give you is overrated some too, but i'd take his riffs & solos over Claptons most any day, no matter how much he borrowed as well. I also prefer his tone too.

grosssssss. Page's tone has absolutely no warmth. His riffs are fucking unbelievable, but his leads are pooooopie. Carlos Santana, specifically recently has amazing tone, Jeff Beck too. It has bit and punch, but a buttery smooth warmth. I think that's the best type of tone because it really fills all rolls.

I just listened to http://youtube.com/watch?v=tHw9b4BBV9Y

his tone is just like page's. Too weak and trebly.

VERY underrated band and guitar player. their recent live at the Fillmore double disc release is mindblowing. i still remember the first time i heard "Goin' Home" and had my mind opened to his genius...

I've heard they're super underrated. I'll check out the fillmore thing.

If you dig that kind of thing, check out Fleetwood Mac at the Boston Teaparty. Peter Green, who left shortly after, was the only british guitarist not scared to death by Hendrix.

Monster.

JoeLang
09-05-2006, 04:47 PM
while we're on the subject...
where does Hendrix stand in terms of guitar players with you?

certainly he totally re-defined the sound, tones, and way an electric guitar could be played... and for that alone he deserves any and all of the praise he gets (and then some), but as an overall guitarist i'm curious what people think...

i think his playing was so innovative at the time that it's really hard to gauge the full extent of his guitar talent without just focusing on the obvious...

His playing was amazing as well. He could play some slop, but after Listening to the instrumental Little Wing from the Boxed set, his tone on stuff like Hey Joe. I mean, the dude was slated to play with Miles just before he died.

Jimi was a monster. Are You Experienced? is what caused me to pick up a guitar.

solace
09-05-2006, 04:52 PM
I hate those guys. Satriani can be good, Eric Johnson could be if he didn't confine himself so much.
yeah, the only one i ever listen to anymore is Satriani, and even then rarely

One could mount a SERIOUS argument against this, but I think I can understand where you are coming from, at least somewhat. George Harrison would be a good example, curtis mayfield, etc.
well it depends, i'm talking in that there are plenty of amazing guitarists who couldn't solo their way out of a paper bag, but it doesn't really diminish their overall impact or importance.

by the same token, there are plenty of guitar players who can shred your face with some penatonic solo but when it comes to writing a memorable riff? nope.

i tend to try and encompass the all around when it comes to guitar playing. ideally someone who writes great riffs and can solo well would be tops, but i think some of my favorite guitar players ever rarely solo, and that doesn't put them any less down on my list.

heard it. Better, but not mindblowing.

i wouldn't argue with that either, just saying that he was never much of a solo player on any The Who's earliest/best records, moreso started wanking around the last 15-20 years.

grosssssss. Page's tone has absolutely no warmth. His riffs are fucking unbelievable, but his leads are pooooopie. Carlos Santana, specifically recently has amazing tone, Jeff Beck too. It has bit and punch, but a buttery smooth warmth. I think that's the best type of tone because it really fills all rolls. [/quote
i'll agree with you that his town isn't that warm, but his tone absolutely fit for LZ, anything else and it would have totally changed the dynamic and they would not have been the same. his solos, depends... he's done some amazing solos, and some that i'd barely raise an eyebrow for. Santana... his tone has been amazing, but i find his current tone (ie: that Supernatural bullshit) fairly generic. yes it's all his own and unmistakeable, but it sounds a bit too shiny/metallic for my taste.

[QUOTE=JoeLang]
If you dig that kind of thing, check out Fleetwood Mac at the Boston Teaparty. Peter Green, who left shortly after, was the only british guitarist not scared to death by Hendrix.

Monster.
will do, i loves me some early Fleetwood

solace
09-05-2006, 04:59 PM
His playing was amazing as well. He could play some slop, but after Listening to the instrumental Little Wing from the Boxed set, his tone on stuff like Hey Joe. I mean, the dude was slated to play with Miles just before he died.

Jimi was a monster. Are You Experienced? is what caused me to pick up a guitar.
i woulda loved to hear him do more acoustic work. the little he did do was pretty impressive.

JoeLang
09-05-2006, 11:30 PM
this is really funny

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3195733008253691341&q=fastest+guitar&pl=true