PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing '06 Releases From Bands Whose Last Album You Loved

Shurs
09-30-2006, 05:02 PM
Did any bands release albums this year that were disappointing compared to their last album?

Here are my disappointments

Muse-Black Holes And Revelations
I loved Absolution when it came out in '03, and still enjoy it. Muse's catalog was always hit or miss with me though.

Snow Patrol-Eyes Open
I cannot find one song I remotely like on this album.

Regina Spektor- Begin To Hope
Her show at the Ascot Room was my favorite of the year because of its intimacy and I celebrate her entire catalog, especially "Songs" but I hate the "bigger" sound she brought with this album, especially after hearing her play the songs solo on her piano at the show. I hope she doesn't get big with this album so she goes back to basics, then I wish her all the success in the world as she deserves it.

The Flaming Lips- At War With The Mystics
Their last two albums were superb. The only song I like on this album is The W.A.N.D.

David
09-30-2006, 07:42 PM
Ditto on Muse and Snow Patrol. This year's discs from both those bands were like sophomore slumps, except they weren't sophomore albums. I'm still hoping the new Lips will grow on me. In their case it might not be so much that At War With the Mystics is not so good as that Yoshimi was such a freaking masterpiece.

I can't say too much more about 2006. I've focussed locally even more than past years.

I'm still trying to sort out which were my favorite national releases of '06, but that's your other thread (http://www.howwastheshow.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8687#post8687).

Stensby
10-01-2006, 12:26 PM
I disagree with you about the Muse and Snow Patrol (to a lesser degree). Of course, we promoted Muse, so take what I say at face value, given that knowledge. It's not like Absolution and that much should be evident from the very beginning. I think it's about equal with me just for the fact that they were willing to try anything and see where it fits within the confines of Muse. Surf rock guitar riffs? Check! Salsa-influenced trumpet and acoustics? Check! Epic Queen vocals? Check! "Supermassive Black Hole" scared the shit out of me when I first heard it but to hear it in its place in the whole record, it makes sense and even grew on me. That being said, "Map of the Problematique" and "Assassins" are amazing tracks. It's far less heavy handed than Absolution, but I think to even compare them is to do them both injustice. (steps down off soap box)

Snow Patrol... I like a couple songs. #1 and #3, I believe.

solace
10-02-2006, 01:02 AM
the new Snow Patrol has a couple of OK songs, but on the whole is definitely a huge let down from the last 2 even.

Muse haven't interested me in the least since Origin in all honesty...

Mystics has some great tracks, but a bunch of total snoozers too. Yoshimi, as great as it is, is prolly their 3rd best record behind Soft Bulletin & Clouds.

JoeLang
10-02-2006, 01:09 PM
The Flecktones Hidden Lands.

I really tried with that one. No g00t.

The new Dylan one. I am sticking to that. It goes in with his tendency to follow up great albums with poo. This is better than most of the following though

Under the Red Sky followed Oh Mercy. Street Legal Followed Desire. Now this. PLUS HE FUCKING TOOK THE COPYRIGHT TO ROLLIN AND TUMBLIN AND SOMEDAY BABY!!!!! No to mention when the levee breaks. He didn't write any of those. He lost a ton of respect there.

Check out mojo's review of the album. I pretty much agree with it (except the reviewer liked the album).

Laguna
10-02-2006, 06:59 PM
The new Flaming Lips is a letdown for me, but a lot of that is just because Yoshimi and Soft Bulletin were so damn good. Like Solace said, Mystics does have some great tracks, but it also has several that range from mediocre to terrible.

I liked the first Futureheads album quite a bit, but News and Tributes doesn't do anything for me. I've tried several times to get into it, but save for a few songs I just don't like it very much. It seems like all of the cool multiple vocal parts that made the first album great have been cut out for the most part.

I'm not really into the new Fiery Furnaces album either. While it is a slight improvement from the grandmother album, it can't compare to Blueberry Boat or Gallowsbird's Bark.

solace
10-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Fiery Furnaces have gone from being a band i dug a good deal w/ those first 2 records and that EP, to a band i almost downright loath anymore...

just because you make music that changes direction, tempo, and style, 19 times over the course of a 3 minute pop song, does not a genius make. when they stick w/ the pop songs, like numerous tracks on the EP, then they really make some outstanding music.

as for the new Futureheads, i agree it's not great, but it's diversity is to be applauded. the first one got boring awfuly fast, even if it did have a bit more energy. Skip To The End is a great song tho.

guilt ridden pop
10-06-2006, 03:38 PM
i am about half way through the new dj shadow record - i cannot begin to describe how horrible it is...

solace
10-06-2006, 03:41 PM
i am about half way through the new dj shadow record - i cannot begin to describe how horrible it is...
it is quite bad.

not that the last one was very good either, but this one is just really really bad...

the new Cut Chemist craps all over it

Bob L
10-07-2006, 10:16 AM
I liked the Fiery Furnaces for about a week. Then, one day, while driving I had an epiphany. I realized that the band was just annoying.

And although Pat will disagree with me, I am dissapointed in the new Cursive record.

JoeLang
10-08-2006, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by guilt ridden pop
it is quite bad.

not that the last one was very good either, but this one is just really really bad...

the new Cut Chemist craps all over it

bummer.

chemist is gonna be here soon...